From clever design tweaks to simple life hacks, there are many great ways to keep your house cooler in the summer… and all that will save you money and help you live more green!
As time goes by, many are coming to terms with the impact our carbon footprint has on the planet; but, at the same time, it is very difficult to live in a modern society without using the convenient technology that’s there to make life easier.
Thankfully, there are ways to make sure we still live in comfort while reducing the damage we inflict on our planet and even our wallets – and this time round, it’s about how to keep your house cool in the summer!
- Rock, cement and asphalt all retain heat from the sun and reflect it back to the house throughout the day (including at night). When landscaping a garden or a drive-in, make sure you use as little of this as possible.
- Large windows that cannot be opened turn the house into a green house. If you already have some, make sure they are draped when the sun is directly opposite.
- When the outside air conditioning unit is in a shaded place, the whole system will use less electricity to keep the temperature low. Trees and shrubs are great way of ensuring this, but always remember to leave the airflow uncovered.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with fluorescent ones, as they use half the energy and emit half the heat.
- Air dry dishes and clothes instead of drying them in a dishwasher or tumble dryer.
- Turn off electronic equipment that is not being used, as these still emit heat when plugged in.
- Using microwaves as opposed to conventional cookers makes for a cooler kitchen.
- Taking showers instead of baths tends to save on hot water, and therefore heat (both in producing it, and as a result of using it).
Quick Life Hacks:
- Place a bowl of ice in front of your fan for natural, cooler air.
- Silk and satin linen tends to retain less heat and let you sleep better.
- Drinking water automatically lowers your body temperature.
Small thing can make a difference and will improve efficiency whilst at the same time save you money. Stay tuned for more tips for your home in Malta. To subscribe to our newsletter click here: www.remax-malta.com/subscribe