Malta’s Newest Town
The first buildings in Pembroke, two watch towers, were built by the Knights of the Order of St. John to safeguard the coast of Bahar ic-Caghaq. Yet, major developments were done by the British in the early 20th century who built a military base with training grounds for their soldiers.
Pembroke served as a military base until 1977 and as evidence of this one can find many colonial buildings. The oldest colonial building is Fort Pembroke which was completed in December 1879. The purpose of this fort was twofold; to protect the Grand Harbour and, to defend the right flank of the Victoria Lines. Today, the fort has been converted to an international school hosting hundreds of foreign students every year. There is also a Military Cemetery which hosts the victims of the first and second world wars.
Read more on Property in Pembroke, Malta