1. If selling, ask the real estate agent in Malta or Gozo how he or she would establish a listing price. Request a Comparative Market Analysis, also called a CMA, which shows the market value of similar homes in the area that are for sale or have recently sold.
2. Ask the real estate agent how he or she would market your property in Malta. Understand that some real estate agents may prefer to first tour your home and then put together a customized marketing plan to present at a later meeting. But if he or she can’t suggest a strategy when asked, you might consider interviewing other candidates.
3. Ask the agent how often you should expect to hear from him or her. Know how and when you will communicate to avoid unrealistic expectations.
4. Ask how long the real estate agent has been trained to be a real estate agent and how many buyers and sellers he or she has helped.
5. Ask about designations. Interest in continuing education is a strong indicator of motivation and professionalism.
6. Pay attention to the real estate agent’s listening skills. Does he or she cut you off before you’ve finished a sentence? There’s nothing worse than looking at houses in Malta you have no interest in because the real estate agent has not listened carefully to your needs, or having your home on the market too long because it’s priced incorrectly and the wrong buyers are being targeted.
7. Ask the real estate agent what his or her fee structure is. Does he or she require a percentage of the sales price or work for a flat fee? Will the agent be paid another way?
8. If you are unsatisfied with a prospect’s plans or personality, thank him or her for taking the time to meet with you and repeat the process with another real estate agent in Malta or Gozo. It can be time-consuming, but it’s worthwhile.
Once you’ve found the right real estate agent to represent you, hold up your end of the relationship. There are simple things you can do to help your real estate agent assist you to get the best deal.
Kevin Deguara, Manager
241, Tower Road,
Tel: +356 21317740
Mob: +356 99889999
Email: [email protected]